How to apply hair feather extensions | diy feather hair extensions | how to install hair feathers from home
Feather Extension Directions - Easy application on How To Insert and Use Hair Feathers - DIY
You should have received or already have the following items
- Feather bundle or single feathers (use a flat iron on LOW heat to straighten feathers)
- Extension Crimp Beads (arrive with most kits)
- Threader Tool (beads may be loaded on the tool for you already)
YOU WILL NEED PLIERS - There is NO need to purchase the expensive pliers salons use. Any household pair will truly do or Michaels Craft Store has in the bead isle "blue handle crimping pliers" these work well the 2.99 pair will do.
1. Part your hair about a half inch from your usual styled part. Lift newly parted hair and secure it with a clip or bobby pin. Select a small portion of your hair where you wish to put the feather extensions, not too much hair, but not too little, I recommend about 10 strands.
2. Thread the bead onto the wire if it hasn’t already been placed on the wire for you. Use your pinky or tail of a comb to pull hair through the loop in the wire. It helps if you dampen the hair or twist it if you are having a hard time putting it through the looped wire. Much like pulling your hair through a cap when getting highlights, you will hold the bead and pull the wire down until your hair is threaded through the bead. Remove the wire and place aside.
3. Slide the bead to the root of your hair. Insert your single feathers or feather bundle into the tip of the bead with bundle on top of the threaded hair. Make sure your feathers are faced down and lay flat against your head for comfort. Make sure also the tip of the feathers pokes out the other side of the bead. This will be important when you test the fit.
4. Grab your pliers (any pair will do – ask the neighbor or any male species. ;) Clamp down on the bead with plier to secure the bead in place. The bead will flatten when clamped with pliers. CAUTION: do not clamp bead at a perpendicular angle to lay on your hair it will become uncomfortable – the idea is to have your bead resting flat against your scalp. This will also ensure the feathers sit properly.
5. Gently pull feather bundle or single feather to ensure the feathers are tightly in place. If they move, re-clamp with pliers give another good push down with them. As long as the feather shaft is in the metal ring or higher it should fasten tightly when clamped properly.
6. Clip and of the feather bundle tip that is protruding from the top of the extension bead – sometimes without trimming the bundle can be annoying and poke your head. Ouch! If you can’t see the tip or fear cutting into your other hair – have someone do it for you. It’s a simple small nip with some scissors.
7. TO REMOVE – Press the bead in the opposite direction, opening the hole and gently pull the feathers out. It is very common for you to lose a few strands of hair. No big deal! No one will notice!
Note: Feather bundles may be undone and feathers may be applied individually or in groups if you prefer. If you wish to put in single feathers-simply pull softly from the top of the bundle and wiggle it out. I use professional hair glue used for human hair extensions. It is a latex type glue and easily removable. Feathers can be reused after the extension grows out. Feathers can be washed, blow-dried, combed, straightened and curled.